I thought this was never going to work but I was pleasantly surprised! Cauliflower crust pizza is skeptical for most, but pretty awesome. If it is made correctly and all the water is squeezed out, you will be left with a crust that can hold together and is much healthier. I found the recipe and changed minor things that worked for me, from the Lucky Penny Blog.
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/4 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper
- pizza toppings
- Set oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop up the cauliflower, put it in a food processor. It will be in small bits like rice. Then steam it until tender (or a microwave, cover and steam about 4 minutes)
- Then, use cheesecloth to strain out as much water as possible. You can do this with a mesh strainer or a tea towel. Really anything with little holes. It totals to 2-3 cups of cauliflower bits.
- Add all ingredients together and mix to form a crust. This crust will be placed preferably on parchment paper to prevent sticking but olive oil on the pan otherwise works.
- Bake about 10-12 minutes or until it starts to brown a bit.
- Take it out and add your toppings. See suggestions below.
- Put it back in for about 8 minutes.
*It is best cooked on a pizza stone preheated in the oven.
- Mozzarella Cheese & tomatoes
- BBQ sauce & chicken
- Mushrooms & spinach
- Pepperoni & onion
- Kale & bacon
- Peppers & mushrooms
Benefits of Cauliflower Crust Pizza:
You get a few servings of vegetables eating cauliflower and depending on toppings. Cauliflower has many health benefits being a cruciferous vegetable. Cruciferous vegetables are found to have a certain compound called glucosinolates that are being researched for benefits of reducing cancer. It has vitamin C, folate, fiber among many others. Vitamin C is good for our tissues to repair, folate for cell growth, and fiber for good digestion.
Sometimes it needs to be eaten with a fork if I don’t strain the water well! It is still great tasting and I don’t mind. Also it is a lot of cheese, but I’m not too worried about it. Depends if your body likes cheese.
Fresh Flavors: Cauliflower crust pizza is a delicious alternative to processed wheat crust.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.